okay so i don’t know about you guys, but everytime i look at my closet, i’m always thinking, “man i really need to go through this stuff..”
well tonight was the night for me to finally take the plunge and actually go through my clothes and get rid of what i don’t wear or need or is no longer in trend. so i wanted to share some of my tips on how i clean out my closet, from the first-time purge to the serious purge.
first-time purge: so the first-time purge is one i do solo. i go through my clothes and kind of put them into different piles.
- the first pile are the clothes that i like but haven’t worn in a while. i check out what i have and think of last time i wore these items. if it’s been a while, but i still love the piece, it goes into this pile. this pile will normally go back into the closet.
- the second pile are things that i haven’t really worn nor do i really care for. be honest ladies, sometimes we have those days where we just buy things because it looks cute on the hanger and it’s on sale. but when we get home and actually try it on, it looks terrible on us but yet we think that at some point we might actually start to like it and wear it. or we think, when we lose a couple pounds we’ll definitely wear this. be honest with yourself, you know you do this. i know i do.
once i go through my piles, i will normally get rid of a few of my items from the second pile. usually it only ends up being a few pieces and i keep the rest. as long as i get rid of a few items i tend to feel accomplished.
serious purge: okay so now is the serious purge. a few months after i do my first-time purge i will tend to relook at my wardrobe and again put my clothes in the same two piles as above. but this time i enlist the help of a friend or family member. why do i do that? well, i know myself. i know that unless i have someone else helping me i will convince myself to keep everything. and this serious purge time is not the time to keep convincing myself to keep the same clothes that i don’t wear!
so, with the help of a friend, i go through the same piles but this time i actually get rid of a good amount of clothes. what do i end up getting rid of?
- clothes that i haven’t worn in more than 6 months
- clothes that don’t fit right on me
- clothes that are no longer trendy
- clothes that are certain colors that i know don’t look good on me
your closet should be filled with items that you love to wear. things that fit your body the way you want it to. things that are the right colors and/or patterns that look great with your skin tone and hair coloring. clothing that you can’t wait to wear. if your closet is filled with items that don’t match this criteria, it might be time for you to start purging your closet. this is the first step towards creating an amazing capsule wardrobe as well. once you have the basics down and pieces that are unique and love, you are more strategic about what you buy.
think about what is in your closet. need to purge? use my tips above! let me know how it goes!